Senior Project Geoscientist
A leading international company is looking for an experienced Senior Project Geoscientist to join their Johannesburg team.
The company is building a strong technical team in Africa to undertake the safe prospecting and technical evaluation of Copper, Nickel, Lithium and Diamond opportunities within the region. Initial prospecting activities will include geophysical surveys, geological mapping, drilling and resource modelling, complemented by the community and environmental characterisation work.
The client is looking for an experienced Senior Project Geoscientist for their Johannesburg location. A successful applicant will be reporting to the Regional Geophysicist and working in a collaborative community within the Geology department. They will lead a large project or a suite of small projects within a program and identify and evaluate targets with the potential to deliver to the group or bodies capable of becoming large, low-cost, long-life mines within the region.
- Managing project resources effectively, applying exploration techniques and technologies, compiling and interpreting geological data and information, collaborating with multi-functional teams, fulfilling technical milestones and monitoring project progress against these to enable continual project prioritisation and presenting results and recommendations to management
- Providing specialist/discipline services at a high level of technical competence to meet project requirements and quality checking of various geophysical data, including airborne, ground and down-hole surveys.
- Supervising contractors and service providers through the tender process, the content of the contract and monitor the contract deliverables by RT standards and manage contractors and service providers through the tender process, the content of the contract, and monitoring the contract deliverables by RT standards
- Supporting the discipline by collaborating on and integrating technical processes to achieve project deliverables
- Generating targets to deliver discovery by providing technical innovations, geoscientific data and available resources.
- Managing or providing specialist support to specific components of project work that may include early-stage generative through to order of magnitude and handover to product group
- Planning and conducting work by all HSEC and compliance policies by setting and monitoring objectives to ensure standards are met, and anticipating and managing risks
- Aligning the program and or projects in the district/country/base with the regional RTX strategy
- Led the team to continuously focus on improving the technical aspects of a project or program.
- Identifying, recommending and implementing improvements to address any gaps identified as hindering exploration activities
- Understanding advances in technology from research organisations and applying new techniques/technology to projects/program that facilitates discoveries
- Collaborating with potential customers in other business units to understand requirements and align deliverables to resources
- Supervising project team staff, including junior professional staff, geotechnical officers, field support staff and contractors.
- Coaching less experienced staff focusing on improving their technical expertise and skills
Required attributes include:
- A commitment to the safety of oneself and the team
- Demonstrated understanding of technical concepts and principles and their application in an exploration environment
- Well-developed project management skills to effectively manage resources, and competing priorities and deliver project milestones
- Broad knowledge of mineral deposits and exploration techniques across a variety of commodities
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with program leaders and peers to achieve outcomes through sharing expertise, skills and technical capability
- Demonstrated ability to guide and coach project staff and manage contractors.
- Ability to work productively with a wide range of people in a cross-cultural, multi-language environment
- A good knowledge of sedimentary hosted copper deposits, Kimberlite exploration.
- Highly developed analytical skills to collate and interpret technical data, measure performance outcomes and contribute to technical innovation and improvement
- Leadership skills to develop and coach technical/professional staff and manage contractors
Education and Qualifications
- Tertiary degree in geophysics or related field (with honours)
- 7+ years of relevant experience with high-level technical competence
- Expert in GIS software
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and Experience in Geosoft, Arc GIS or another modelling
- A strong background in Geophysical data processing and interpretation
- Full drivers’ license with 4 x 4-wheel drive training advantageous
If you meet the above requirements and want to make a career-changing move, apply today by either filling in the online application form or by emailing your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that correspondence will only be conducted with shortlisted candidates for this position.
Please consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within 3 days.