An industry-leading mining company is currently seeking an ambitious and talented Shift Boss to join its team in the Northern Cape.
This leading mining client of ours is looking for the services of a Shift Boss to lead the team at their mine operations in the Northern Cape. This business mines manganese ore at several different sites, as well as producing manganese alloys; they currently employ over 2000 permanent staff and over 3000 contractors. Their vision is to create prosperity for all stakeholders by responsibly growing their businesses through pride and innovation.
Notable facets of this business that employees highlight as especially praiseworthy include a Committed management team, a strong culture of innovation and huge opportunities for growth for any driven individual. The lucky successful applicant can look forward to a dynamic, ever-changing environment which propels staff to work at their best to stay ahead. Healthy competitiveness and friendly co-workers are additional benefits. Remuneration for the role is based on a competitive all-inclusive flexible package.
The successful Shift Boss will focus on the safe quality of work, achieving production targets, housekeeping, supervising and coordinating all mine operation support functions. They will ensure that staff members are present for the shift and that all operations are carried out safely and on time.
- Ensure compliance with the Mine Health and Safety Act, mine policies, procedures and standards.
- Plan and organise resources, people and equipment to ensure the safe execution of the production schedule.
- Plan, coordinate and control the production activities of the section.
- Exercise and entrench basic principles of safety and mining.
- Receive and interpret handover reports from the previous Shift Boss or previous shift in your section.
- Conduct meeting with Miners and report on previous shift status, finalise daily plan per area, issue specific instructions and receive updates from Miners regarding resource availability.
- Fill in the Shift Boss logbook at the end of the shift, and ensure that all appointments are done and updated and signed off by relevant appointees.
- Identify constraints and deviations from the plan and issue new instructions if necessary.
- Identify own priorities including PTOs and communicate constraints to relevant stakeholders.
- Conduct Plan Tasks Observations.
- Inspect services: ventilation, compressed air, water and drain columns.
- Escalate problems to line management, monitor progress, and identify delays and constraints.
- Identify deviations from standard health and safety, production parameters and prioritise work to be done.
- Investigate incidents and accidents by completing root cause analyses and taking corrective action.
- Conduct Risk Assessment and stop work in unsafe areas.
- Obtain, check and refine information.
- Assist with the implementation of change management to drive transformation and optimisation.
- Identify and recommend initiatives aimed at eliminating waste, improving productivity and reducing operating costs within scope.
- Able to meet the physical demands of the job, such as standing up for long hours and lifting heavy loads upon occasion
- Ability to multitask and manage both own tasks and the tasks of team members
- Strong Leadership and conflict-management skills
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal
- Approachable and professional manner
Education and Experience
- Grade 12 Certificate
- Blasting Ticket for Schedule Mines Certificate
- Shift Supervisor Course
- Valid Drivers License: Code B / EB
- Should obtain a Dover B symbol
- Medical fitness certification
- 5 Years experience in underground mining operations.
- 2 Years of Supervisory experience.
- 2 Years experience as a Miner in a production section.
If you meet the above requirements and want to make a career-changing move, apply today by either filling in the online application form or by emailing your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that correspondence will only be conducted with shortlisted candidates for this position.
Please consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within 3 days.