Hardware Development Design Engineer
An innovative IT leader is currently looking for a motivated and talented Hardware Development Design Engineer to join their team in Durban.
This IT industry leader provides a range of state-of-the-art, meaningful, purpose-driven, detection solutions – detectors, software and systems. Their vision is to become a truly international company by expanding/extending their geographical footprint/reach through continual innovation, world-class design and manufacturing to deliver best-in-class solutions for their niche markets around the world. Boasting more than 50 years of experience, this company offers excellent value for money and ongoing peace of mind which will ensure a solid foundation upon which to build lasting relationships that stand the test of time. Combining a legacy of innovation with their culture of invention helps them see opportunities a continually-changing environment presents. Their brand is renowned for the highest quality, best performance and utmost reliability.
Their continual investment in research and development creates intellectual property that has resulted in global patents and subsequently met market demand for components, systems and solutions with increased accuracy, sensitivity and functionality. Any incumbent can look forward to the opportunity to produce world-class products from concept to final manufacture – an incredible chance to learn and develop one’s skills in niche applications. Employees have found that there is an excellent team spirit and moral ethos at this company, with a relatively small team to ensure adequate collaboration and mentoring.
The successful Hardware Development Design Engineer will join the International business division of the client company. The immediate line of responsibility will be to the Hardware Development Manager. This position involves the research and development of new products for all of the company’s four business units. The job will involve developing products from initial concept through to a fully qualified, robust prototype using sound engineering principles.
- Design of electronic products from concept, technology research, full technical product specification, design of schematic and PCB using Altium Designer
- Design of firmware right through to a fully qualified, robust prototype
- Walking the product through the production facility during the first-off prototype builds
- Full spectrum bench-testing and verification, environmental verification and Electromagnetic Compliance verification
- Training of Engineering Services and Test and Repairs Departments to be able to support the final product
- Product Documentation on Specifications, Manuals, Changes etc
- Firmware Development for Microcontrollers – generally done in C
- Occasional PC Software development for testing purposes – these will generally be done in C / C++ / Visual Basic /Java/TCL
- Liaising with the Software developers to integrate components into complete systems
- Designing with DSP’s, ARM Processors, 8051 based Micro’s, PICs, Motorola Micros and FPGA’s
- Manage oneself with little supervision
- Produce results in line with commitments and agreed objectives
- Translate market requirements into a technical specification
- Accurately plan projects to meet all specifications and requirements
- Meet the deadlines set out in the project planning phase
- Ensure high quality and durability of products designed
- Speedily resolve problems arising
- Interface with other departments within the organisation (Sales and Marketing, Industrial Engineering, Engineering
- Services Staff, Planning and Production)
- Schematic and PCB Design (30% of the working day)
- Firmware Development (40% of the working day)
- Documentation (5% of the working day)
- Interfacing with other departments (5% of the working day)
- Testing (20% of the working day)
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally with departments within the company
- An eagerness to embrace change and previously unused technologies
- A responsible, self-motivated individual driven to meet deadlines
Education and Experience
- Minimum BSc Degree in Electronic Engineering
- 3 to 4 years working experience in an electronics manufacturing environment
- Solid Firmware development experience with Embedded Systems and C.
- Experience in Compliance Testing for Certifications of Product.
- Ability to write or modify PC Based Software in Visual Software Suites.
- CPLD, FPGA Design experience would be a plus
- DSP experience would be a plus.
If you meet the above requirements and want to make a career-changing move, apply today by either filling in the online application form or by emailing your CV to email@example.com
Please note that correspondence will only be conducted with shortlisted candidates for this position.
Please consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within 3 days.