Development Engineer (Firmware)
A leading developer is currently seeking an ambitious and talented Development Engineer (Firmware) to join their team in Johannesburg.
This client is a leading developer, producer & supplier of commercial explosives based in South Africa. They globally assist the mining industry to achieve optimal blasting processes and outcomes. Their sustainable approach enables efficiencies and best practices through the application of experience and intelligent blasting technology.
With a focus on developing their people and building leadership potential among existing and potential employees, they are known for the investment they make into their teams on an ongoing basis. Existing employees are invited to take advantage of the educational opportunities available to them, and promotions are considered internally before positions are made known externally. Furthermore, the organisation is continually evolving with innovation, growth and development firmly embedded in the company’s culture and its people.
The client is looking for a Development Engineer (Firmware) to join their Technical and Development Department. A successful applicant will architect and implement software solutions for detonator-related products, specifically control equipment and test equipment. They will report to the Senior Software Engineer, who then reports to the Chief Technical Officer.
The incumbent will be providing software solutions to facilitate the design and deployment of control equipment that will enable the client organisation to achieve global leadership in the field of electronics blasting systems. This will include the following tasks:
- Develop and write, components and interfaces, as required.
- Keep abreast of global developments in embedded firmware, software and internet technology and provide direction about software development.
- Integrate the software/firmware development with the business strategy, customer requirements and electronic detonator chip technology development.
- Assist in the installation and commissioning of new firmware/software into client sites and interfaces and satisfy clients in this process.
- Create system, test and technical specifications for new products.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently
- Highly motivated
- Excellent technical writing skills
Education and Experience
- BSc. Eng. (Computer) / BEng (Electronic) / BSc. Eng. (Electronics) / Equivalent
- 5+ years of Firmware development experience in C
- 5+ years of Software architecture experience
- Ability to read/interpret schematics and debug embedded platforms
- Familiarity with software revision control systems and code review techniques
- Linux skills (ssh, scripting, development) advantageous
- C++, python, and Qt experience advantageous
- Exposure to STM32 and AVR XMega platforms advantageous
- UI design experience in embedded platforms advantageous
If you meet the above requirements and want to make a career-changing move, apply today by either filling in the online application form or by emailing your CV to email@example.com
Please note that correspondence will only be conducted with shortlisted candidates for this position.
Please consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us within 3 days.